You are here

U.S. Trustee

The Office of the U.S. Trustee oversees the administrative aspects of the bankruptcy process. In this capacity the U.S. Trustee supervises the administration of Chapter 11 cases and presides at the Chapter 11 Section 341 meeting of creditors; creates a panel of trustees from which a person is appointed as case trustee in each chapter 7 case; insures that each trustee is bonded; and oversees the activities of the trustees in the administration of their individual cases. The Chapter 7 trustee presides at the Sec. 341 meeting of creditors, examines the debtor(s), seeks and liquidates any non-exempt assets the debtor(s) may have for the benefit of creditors, and performs other statutory functions. For Chapter 13 cases, the U.S. Trustee has appointed Standing Chapter 13 Trustees, who operate as trustee in each Chapter 13 case that is filed in a district. For Boston cases, the Chapter 13 Trustee is Carolyn Bankowski (617) 723-1313; for Worcester cases, the Chapter 13 Trustee is David A. Mawhinney (508) 791-3300.


Link to U.S. Trustee Website

The U.S. Trustee has offices in each of the districts in Region 1 and has appointed an Assistant U.S. Trustee to manage the functioning of each office. In the District of Massachusetts there are two offices:


Boston Location

William K. Harrington
U.S. Trustee

John P. Fitzgerald
Assistant U.S. Trustee
John. W. McCormack Post Office and Court House
5 Post Office Square, Suite 1000
Boston, MA 02109-3945
Phone: (617) 788-0400
Fax: (617) 565-6368

U.S. Trustee Boston Location Website

Worcester Location

William K. Harrington
U.S. Trustee

Richard T. King
Assistant U.S. Trustee
446 Main Street, 14th Floor
Worcester, MA 01608
Phone: (508) 793-0553
Fax: (508) 793-0558

U.S. Trustee Worcester Location Website


The U.S. Trustee requires a copy of all documents that are filed with the Clerks Office. You can expedite this process by forwarding all copies directly to the U.S. Trustees Office rather than to the Clerk's Office.

Exception: The Clerks Office will forward a copy of the bankruptcy petition itself to the U.S. Trustee.